Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Matthew Vaughn To Direct 'X-Men: First Class,' Release Date Set For 2011

Following reports earlier this week that "Kick-Ass" director Matthew Vaughn was back in the running to helm the next "X-Men" film, Fox has officially announced that Vaughn will direct "X-Men: First Class."

"X-Men: First Class" will be released on June 3, 2011, according to Variety. While casting has not yet officially begun, The Hollywood Reporter is also speculating that "X-Men: First Class" producer Bryan Singer has already started to look at potential candidates for Scott Summers (Cyclops) and Jean Grey while casting his next film, "Jack The Giant Killer."

Back in December, it was announced that Singer would return to the "X-Men" film franchise and direct "X-Men: First Class." However, Singer's commitment to Warner Brothers' "Giant Killer" forced him step down as director, paving the way for Vaughn to take the film.
"I've been a fan of [Vaughn's] since 'Layer Cake,'" Singer told Variety. "He has a deft hand with multiple characters and storylines, and a great love of the X-Men universe. I feel the combination of this story and his vision will make for an exciting and original 'X-Men' film."

"X-Men: First Class" is set to take place early in the team's history, with Professor X and Magneto still working side-by-side before events ultimately drive them apart and spark a personal war between them.

Following Singer's original departure from the third "X-Men" film, Vaughn was one of the finalists to direct "X-Men: The Last Stand" before the job ultimately went to Bret Ratner.

Prior to signing with Fox for "X-Men: First Class," Vaughn had been rumored to be considering "Kick-Ass 2" and "Bloodshot" — based upon the Valiant Comic of the same name — as his next film project.

by Blair Marnell

Washington Post Hires Allen & Co To Explore Newsweek Sale

By Staci D. Kramer

The Washington Post Co. (NYSE: WPO) has come to the end of the road with struggling Newsweek. The company just announced that it has hired Allen & Co. to explore the possible sale of the newsweekly. Chairman and CEO Don Graham: “The losses at Newsweek in 2007-2009 are a matter of record. Despite heroic efforts on the part of Newsweek’s management and staff, we expect it to still lose money in 2010. We are exploring all options to fix that problem. Newsweek is a lively, important magazine and website, and in the current climate, it might be a better fit elsewhere.”

Newsweek‘s future—or the possible lack of one—has been a subject of speculation for years. The magazine was founded in 1933 and acquired by WaPoCo in 1961, helping create the company now dominated by its Kaplan education services, not news. While others were beginning to pick up steam from an recovery, Newsweek’s ad revenues plummeted 30 percent in Q4; the magazine’s total revenue was down 27 percent to $184.2 million. That was despite a stern-to-stem makeover and complete refocus.
More to come.

Siohvaughn Wade Gabrielle Union Lawsuit

File this under: “When The Wife Strikes Back….”

Siohvaughn Wade, the estranged wife of Miami Heat player Dwayne Wade, has filed a $50,000 lawsuit against his screen star girlfriend Gabrielle Union, who Siohvaughn accuses of causing emotional distress to her two children
with the hoopster.

In documents filed in Cook County, Chicago on Tuesday, Siohvaughn says that Gabrielle “engaged in sexual foreplay with Dwyane Wade” in front of her sons, ages eight and two. She explains that during an unsupervised visit at Dwayne’s house in Miami, her 8-year-old caught Gabrielle and his daddy kissing on each other. also claims Wade’s oldest son was allowed to play unsupervised in or around the Miami home’s pool at night. Wade and Union ignored the boy, whose “screams and cries” eventually got the attention of Wade’s mother, Jolinda Wade.

The 8-year-old later told court-appointed child representative Lester Barelay what happened and asked him “to put his father in jail…” so he would not have to return to the home, which he calls “the house where the woman kissing daddy lives,” the suit said.

Siohvaughn says that all of this caused her 8-year-old to suffer stress and anxiety, which has even led to hair loss. He’s undergoing mental evaluations at the University of Chicago.

Early Morning Swim: Rachel Maddow Slams Joe Lieberman — “This is America”

By: Blue Texan

More on this, here.

Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Conn.) is planning to introduce a bill that would allow the government to take away citizenship from Americans who join foreign terrorist organizations.

The proposal would amend current law that bars American citizens from fighting for foreign armies at the price of losing their citizenship.

“I think it’s time for us to look at whether we want to amend that law to apply it to American citizens who choose to become affiliated with foreign terrorist organizations, whether they should not also be deprived automatically of their citizenship and therefore be deprived of rights that come with that citizenship when they are apprehended and charged with a terrorist act,” Lieberman, who helms the Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, said on Fox News.
Note the word, “foreign.” So under Lieberputz’s law, Tim McVeigh keeps his citizenship — but Jose Padilla doesn’t. Great

ICYMI: Robert Gibbs smacks Fox reporter with Brownie’s tinfoil hat

By Joy-Ann “Joy” Reid’s

Yesterday during the midday briefing, President Obama’s press secretary Robert Gibbs had a keeper of an exchange with Fox “News” reporter Wendell Goler, who wanted to know, surprise! … whether the Gulf oil gusher is “Obama’s Katrina.” Gibbs took the opportunity to dress down Goler’s network over its decision to give a platform to Michael “heckuva job” Brown, Dubya’s former failure of a FEMA director, who botched the response to Hurricane Katrina, but who seems to have developed a special knowledge about how that massive offshore leak began.

For more on the right’s out of this world Gulf spill conspiracy theories, and how they’re discrediting conservatism, read David Corn’s excellent piece at Politics Daily.

First Indie Charlie poll gives Crist a post-split bounce

Florida 2010 Senate candidates, Crist, Rubio and Meek.

By Joy-Ann “Joy” Reid’s

I always feel I have to state this, but I don’t much care for Rasmussen polls. No one really knows how their sampling is done, and they tend to function more as a numeric Frank Luntz than a truly objective polling outfit. That said, they’re first out of the box with a poll on the Florida Senate race including Charlie Crist as a genuine independent candidate, and the poll (not unexpectedly given the amount of news coverage his split with the GOP has received) has good new for the governor. Crist leads the three-way Senate race by four points over Marco Rubio, 38 percent to 34 percent, with Kendrick Meek a distant third at 17 percent, and 11 percent undecided.

A few reasons to look at the poll with a bit of skepticism: the small sample size (just 500 people polled on a single day, May 3rd) and the relatively high 4.5% margin of era, not to mention the marked change from a poll Rasmussen conducted just two weeks ago:

Two weeks ago, before Crist announced his decision to run as an independent candidate, Rubio held a seven point advantage in the race.

Since then, Crist has gained eight (8) percentage points in the poll while Rubio and Meek have each dropped three (3) points. It remains to be seen if this is a temporary bounce or a lasting change in the race.

Change in the race:

May 3, 2010 April 21, 2010

Marcus Rubio (R) 34% 37%

Kendrick Meek (D) 17% 22%

Charlie Crist (I) 38% 30%

Not sure 11% 11%

But, and this is a big “but” (no pun intended…) robopolls like this are a good way to measure intensity, meaning that people who are more passionate about the subject matter are more likely to sit through the recorded prompts. So in that sense, this poll shows that the intensity shifting from Rubio supporters to Crist people, at least in the initial phase of excitement over his dramatic party switch. That’s something I’ve definitely seen anecdotally in the comments sections of major newspaper sites like the St. Pete Times, where you used to find almost all Rubio people commenting. but where lately, the responses are heavily weighted toward Crist people, something that began to ramp up after Crist vetoed SB6 (the teacher tenure bill.) Conversely, this poll, at least, indicates that intensity has NOT increased for the Democrat in the race, Kendrick Meek, even though just about every political analyst has said that Crist’s switch gives Meek a better shot — if not the best shot of the three — at winning. (For the record, I’m not one of those analysts. Whether it’s a two- or a three-way race, I pretty much believe that name ID wins, unless you’ve got an ‘08 Obama-style two years to catch up. And Rubio, while his ID is growing, it’s growing in a negative direction. Meek is stacking up money, and he’s running a solid campaign, but I’m not sure he has the time, or a “hook” that grabs the media narrative away from the other two candidates, the way Obama grabbed the narrative from Hillary, or Rubio grabbed it from Crist before Crist grabbed it back. But that’s just me.) It also shows Crist leeching votes from both of his rivals, with slightly more coming from Meek.

Whatever you believe about the contours of this race, at least based on this poll, just improving his odds of winning has not been enough to significantly boost intensity for Kendrick, in large part because people who would naturally gravitate toward him (I call them the “anybody but Rubio” people) have a choice — Charlie Crist — and at the moment, many of those ABR people don’t know who Meek is. That could change dramatically once Meek starts advertising, or if some new scandal or negative storyline blindsides Crist. We’ll just have to wait and see. Okay, but here comes another “but” — in this poll, Meek was only unknown to a third of respondents, not the 60 and 70 percent you’ve seen in other surveys …

A Bigger Hole for Big Ben Roethlisberger

Written by Travis Pulver,

With the suspension already being handed out by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and the district attorney already stating that no charges would be filed, one would think that the controversy surrounding the actions and behavior of the Pittsburgh Steeler quarterback. Instead, with the recent news being broke by Sports Illustrated one has to wonder if Goodell may have been premature in ending the NFL’s investigation and handing out a penalty already.

Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger’s agent, states that the qb has gotten the picture and has no interest in being the guy that is being portrayed in the media. At the same time, SI reports that its writers were faced with the “Do you know who I am” attitude when they were in the Steel City.

A history of behavior paints a rather unpleasant picture. In the SI story, a number of statements continue to paint his behavior and attitude towards women in a negative light.

Supposedly, whenever Roethlisberger goes out with friends they feel as if they must constantly apologize for his behavior. In instance, he made comments to a pregnant waitress at a TGIF’s like, “Did your boyfriend forget to pull out?”
A teammate that was with Roethlisberger during that fateful night in Georgia has remarked that the fans have every right to be upset and hopes that they can forgive the quarterback and move on.
After they read about how he did planned on having “Clinton sex” that night in Milledgeville they may find it a little bit harder to move on.